Monday, November 12, 2012

on Oceans, Adventures and Public Tranportation

Written a couple of days ago:



“Ocean in view.  We are in view of the ocean.  This great pacific ocean, which we have been so longing to see. – William Clark”
I blame that on my mom’s constant playing of a music album with Lewis and Clark’s quotes peppered in it.  Nonetheless, here I am, at Newport Beach, California, soaking in the perfect temperatures, letting my feet hit the sand and toes in the water.  Wimpy little Orange County people are all bundled up, but to me this is a second summertime. 
This should be a lesson to me, one which I’ve learned and forgotten now for too many years.  Just let things be.  Go, explore, be agendaless and take every possible thing, from novelty to annoyance, and view it as an adventure.
After arriving at the airport, several annoyances came to play.  The TSA apparently had to test to see if the honey I was bringing to Joe was in fact a bomb.  They almost closed the jar completely, but not quite, resulting in it leaking.  A small bit of honey was lost in the process and a portion of my suitcase is now sticky. 
But you know what was also occurred?  I saw all the theme park brochures and recalled how much I’ve been wanting to go, plus Kyle is not a fan of theme parks so unless it were staring us in the face we wouldn’t, plus Joe is a fan of theme parks, equals delight!  I hope we go to one this weekend.
Since Joe is predictably in work, I had more than a few hours to burn.  I live in the mountains these days, but I was born at the sea (Newport Hospital to be exact, the original, erm in America, Newport), and some of my most cherished memories were borne of the sea.  So I had it in my mind to explore some stretch of the sea. 
There are taxis, but that would be expensive, and even if I were moneybags mcgee, that does take away some of the adventure.  I have determined, in some cases (not all, see Osaka, New York, Europe) individual transportation is more convenient.  In all cases, public transportation is far more adventurous.  First there is the part about figuring out where to go, and how to get there.  Then there is the ability to actually see what you are going through and appreciate it.  Finally, there is that hint of danger, not real danger, but the possibility of failure; the possibility of not ending up where you intended to be.  That makes it more like a game than a cardboard cut objective. 
Yet I had a very hard time finding out where the local buses picked up.  I suppose it should have been expected, but when I asked airport employees where the bus was, they gave me a very queer look that suggested “What is this ‘boos’ thing you are referring to?”  No matter.  It was another adventure- to find out how to get where.
A lack of convenience forces you to be happy with your result.  How many times have I driven around to find the perfect spot I am looking for, be it park or restaurant.  When you are going by bus or by foot, every spot it perfect, because it is the one that is there.  It is the one that calls to you the most and will call to you the most for the next 5-10 minutes, depending on how speedy you are.  That is, you give your surroundings a chance to actually speak to you.
I used to do this a lot in Japan.  Walk around, take a train somewhere and just go.  I loved it.  It was fun.  I haven’t really done that since.
There is the social anxiety.  Who the hell is this hobo girl with her big rolling luggage on the beach?  What is she doing here?
But baaahhh.  I climb mountains.  I go to places that are actually physically inhospitable.  Why should I let any possible snide remarks deter me?  It isn’t worth it, so fuck em I say.
The sun is long from setting, but it is great to see it here.  At home it would be starting to crest behind the mountains; one of the misfortunes of living right against a 9000ft mountain; in the morning it is worse as to the east is a 14,000 ft mountain.  This I miss.  In Rhode Island it was the dawn that was most beautiful, but here I can see it being dusk.  Man I miss the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment